I’m a GIS Software Consultant with over fifteen years of experience developing software solutions. Armed with a sound technical skill set, I guide clients though complex development and GIS technology decisions from conceptual design to software implementation.
The Rothwell Group, L.P.
Director of Development – (Sept. 2006 – Present)
Project Management Activities
- Manage training activities for all technical staff as well as monitor employee annual development plans.
- Introduced, promoted and trained all employees in the Scrum Agile Framework, which we use on most projects.
- Provide extensive HR support and duties related to all technical staff.
Development & Infrastructure Support
- Responsible for implementing all infrastructure processes and tooling, from development tools for the entire SDLC to office productivity technologies.
- Maintained continuous integration environment for all projects in order to accomplish successful continuous build, coding standards, report on code metrics, unit test coverage, integration scripting, automated deployment, etc.
- Implemented and defined standard operating procedures for hardware and virtualization requirements on desktop and server environments .
- Implemented and maintain hosting strategy with Amazon Web Services infrastructure for production, user acceptance testing, demo, and development scenarios.
- Initiated and successfully implemented transition from Microsoft Office to Google Apps office productivity for all employees.
GIS Application Development
- Lead developer on the PaleoGIS oil and gas exploration tool. Have been lead developer since initial development started on this project in 2004. PaleoGIS is a robust ArcMap extension written in C# for the .Net Framework. PaleoGIS has grown into mature software with over 100k lines of code and has been upgraded countless times; now built to run with ArcGIS 10 and .Net Framework 3.5. We will continue enhancement and support of this project, which is currently used by more than a dozen major oil and gas companies around the world.
Web-based Application Development
- Built a web-based front end to an air quality monitoring tool for an environmental engineering firm. This product consists of numerous coordinated inter-operational systems, including the development of a multi-threaded Windows service for processing queued simulations asynchronously as well as a PayPal-enabled shopping cart system, which first authorizes charges and later captures funds once simulations have completed. This product promises to revolutionize the way in which air quality monitoring is performed.
- Built, enhanced, and maintained numerous database-driven web portals for clients, including workflow management systems, project management and invoicing systems, and fugitive emissions monitoring systems.
Senior GIS Software Developer – (Sept. 2002 – Sept. 2006)
Developed GIS applications as a client-focused software consultant
- Shell E & P – Established a new consulting relationship for a one-year on-site assignment. Managed and mentored two full time employees in the Global Frontiers exploration group. Guided an international team of senior research geologists in the appropriate use of GIS technologies. Performed GIS analysis. Automated tasks using Model Builder. Implemented data management and workflow best practices.
- Kerr-McGee – Established a new consulting relationship, winning a four-month contract providing on-site ArcGIS development services. Developed a custom extension to ArcMap to improve application ease-of-use and to fit specific functional needs.
- Black Stone Minerals – Lead developer for an Internet mapping system that allows customers of Black Stone to view, browse, and inquire about the company’s mineral leases. Users on the Internet can visually locate leases of interest on a user-friendly ArcIMS viewer and submit requests for additional information. The request is submitted to Black Stone in the form of an email, containing a link to the internal, full-featured ArcIMS viewer zoomed to the area of interest.
- Wood Mackenzie – Programmer on PathFinder 4 team, Wood Mackenzie’s international upstream petroleum integrated mapping interface. Shrink-wrap software built in VB6 and Map Objects.
- BHP Billiton – Extended GSI’s Spatial Search Engine to support complex multi-feature searches. Worked on-site to implement this new functionality within BHP’s production environment.
Performed GIS services
- Deployed, configured, optimized, and customized many ArcIMS installations for in-house development efforts as well as client production sites such as Occidental, Newfield, and Blackstone Minerals. Extensive background with various ArcIMS viewers including DHTML Viewer, Java Viewer, WMS Viewer, and Active X site starters. Experience installing ArcIMS with Tomcat and ServletExec servlet engines on Windows and Unix servers.
Performed as lead developer of core products
- Lead developer of an ArcMap extension (ArcObjects 9 /C#) called PaleoGIS 9. This software is used by regional geologists to model movement of the earth’s tectonic plates through time. This six-month development project required the use of ArcObjects to perform complex editing, geoprocessing, and analysis of spatial data through time.
- Lead developer for an ArcIMS / ArcObjects / .Net project called QuikMap.Developed a .Net windows service using ArcObjects 8.x used in conjunction with a customized DHTML/ASP.net Viewer to build a high-resolution mapping and printing tool for ArcIMS. In effect, I extended ArcIMS functionality using ArcObjects on the server-side, prior to the existence of ArcGIS Server software.
- Lead developer for an ArcIMS / ASP.Net development project called QuikFind. Customized the ArcIMS DHTML Viewer with ASP.Net to build a sophisticated search tool for querying large datasets.
Instrumental in the adoption of software development best practices and technology screening.
- Evaluated numerous source code control and defect tracking systems for in house development use.
- Implemented automated builds for various development projects.
- Participated on a team to establish coding standards and code review practices.
- Performed duties as company beta tester for ESRI ArcGIS 9 suite including ArcMap, ArcGIS Server, and ArcIMS.
GIS Technology, Inc
GIS Software Developer – (Aug. 2000 – Sept. 2002)
Details on Request.
City of Austin
GIS Analyst / Developer – (1998 – Aug. 2000)
Details on Request.
Operating System Experience
- Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP, Svr 2003, Srv 2008, Srv 2012
- Linux – Ubuntu Desktop / Headless Server 9.04 – 14.04, Debian, & CrunchBang
- ArcGIS Desktop & Server
- ArcIMS (ActiveX Connector, ArcXML, 3 – 9)
- ArcView 3.x, ArcInfo 7.x and 8.x, Map Objects, MOIMS
- Open Layers
- Visual Basic 6, VBScript, DOS, BASH
- Avenue / AML (yeah that is old stuff)
Database / ORM Experience
- MS SQL Server
- NHibernate / Fluent NHibernate
- Cruise Control
Masters of Applied Geography (GIS and Cartography) – Summer 2000
- Southwest Texas University
- Specialization in Geographic Information Systems
- Cumulative Grade-Point Average: 4.0 (of 4.0)
Bachelor of Science in Biology – Fall 1997
- University of Texas at Austin
- Cumulative Grade-Point Average: 3.5 (of 4.0)
- SharpMap Open Source Developer – Perform feature enhancements on WMS and WFS area of code base. Use this component in other personal projects.
- Appalachian Trail Thru-hike , March 1 – August 19, 2004 – Completed a 2,174 mile backpacking trip from Georgia to Maine in six months time. Required extensive research, project planning, discipline, and determination.
Conferences & Training
- Amazon Web Services Reinvnet Conference 2014
- Constructs Training – Software Estimation, Project Management
- New Horizons Training – C#, VB.Net, and Visual Studio
- FOSS4G Denver 2011
- ESRI Developer’s Summit, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015
- ESRI User’s Conference, 2002
- Petroleum User Group Conferences, 2000 – 2006