I’m a Web and GIS Software Consultant with close to 20 years of experience developing software solutions. Armed with a sound technical skill set, I guide clients though complex development and GIS technology decisions from conceptual design to software implementation.
- C# .Net, .Net Core, WPF (MVVM)
- Git, Tfs & Svn
- ESRI – ArcGIS Pro & ArcGIS Enterprise
- Amazon Web Services – EC2, DynamoDB, IAM, Lambda, S3, etc.
SSP Innovations (link)
Senior GIS Product Developer – (May 2020 – Present)
- Full time ArcGIS Pro / Enterprise Developer.
- Worked on ArcGIS Pro Add-in product called Productivity.
- Contributed to Error Analysis, Lifecycle Work Assignment, and Subnetwork Management & Export
- Worked with Utility Network version 3 and 4 primarily in the context of Electric and Gas networks.
Web and GIS Developer – (Feb. 2019 – May 2020)
The Rothwell Group, L.P. (link)
Director of Development – (Sept. 2006 – Feb. 2019)
GIS Application Development
- Lead developer on the PaleoGIS oil and gas exploration tool. Have been lead developer since initial development started on this project in 2004. PaleoGIS is a robust ArcMap extension written in C# for the .Net Framework. PaleoGIS has grown into mature software with over 100k lines of code and has been upgraded countless times.
Web-based Application Development
- Architected the company flagship HR software product called BizRun. This is a comprehensive HR solution including onboarding, recruiting, compensation, payroll, time, and attendance. This is a fully scallable, modern cloud solution built primarily on Amazon Web Services (Ec2, S3, and DynamoDB etc.). Payment and authentication was build by integrating BrainTree Payments and Auth0, respectively.
Development & Infrastructure Support
- Responsible for implementing all infrastructure processes and tooling, from development tools for the entire SDLC to office productivity technologies. Managed SVN and GIT source control solutions.
- Maintained continuous integration environment for all projects in order to accomplish successful continuous build, coding standards, report on code metrics, unit test coverage, integration scripting, automated deployment, etc. Software used included CruiseControl.Net, NAnt, NUnit, Selinium, Jasmine, and Chutzpah.
- Implemented and maintained hosting strategy with Amazon Web Services infrastructure for production, user acceptance testing, demo, and development scenarios. Fluent in EC2, DynamoDB, S3, Code*, etc.
- Initiated and successfully implemented transition from Microsoft Office to Google Apps office productivity for all employees.
Project Management Activities
- Manage training activities for all technical staff as well as monitor employee annual development plans.
- Introduced, promoted and trained all employees in the Scrum Agile Framework, which we used on most projects.
- Provided extensive HR support and duties related to all technical staff.
Senior GIS Software Developer – (Sept. 2002 – Sept. 2006)
GIS Application Development and Consulting
- Shell E & P – Established a new consulting relationship for a one-year on-site assignment. Managed and mentored two full time employees in the Global Frontiers exploration group. Guided an international team of senior research geologists in the appropriate use of GIS technologies. Performed GIS analysis. Automated tasks using Model Builder. Implemented data management and workflow best practices.
- Kerr-McGee – Established a new consulting relationship, winning a four-month contract providing on-site ArcGIS development services. Developed a custom extension to ArcMap to improve application ease-of-use and to fit specific functional needs.
- Black Stone Minerals – Lead developer for an Internet mapping system that allows customers of Black Stone to view, browse, and inquire about the company’s mineral leases. Users on the Internet can visually locate leases of interest on a user-friendly ArcIMS viewer and submit requests for additional information. The request is submitted to Black Stone in the form of an email, containing a link to the internal, full-featured ArcIMS viewer zoomed to the area of interest.
- Wood Mackenzie – Programmer on PathFinder 4 team, Wood Mackenzie’s international upstream petroleum integrated mapping interface. Shrink-wrap software built in VB6 and Map Objects.
- BHP Billiton – Extended GSI’s Spatial Search Engine to support complex multi-feature searches. Worked on-site to implement this new functionality within BHP’s production environment.
- Deployed, configured, optimized, and customized many ArcIMS installations for in-house development efforts as well as client production sites such as Occidental, Newfield, and Blackstone Minerals. Extensive background with various ArcIMS viewers including DHTML Viewer, Java Viewer, WMS Viewer, and Active X site starters. Experience installing ArcIMS with Tomcat and ServletExec servlet engines on Windows and Unix servers.
Lead Developer of Core Products
- Lead developer of an ArcMap extension (ArcObjects 9 /C#) called PaleoGIS 9. This software is used by regional geologists to model movement of the earth’s tectonic plates through time. This six-month development project required the use of ArcObjects to perform complex editing, geoprocessing, and analysis of spatial data through time.
- Lead developer for an ArcIMS / ArcObjects / .Net project called QuikMap.Developed a .Net windows service using ArcObjects 8.x used in conjunction with a customized DHTML/ASP.net Viewer to build a high-resolution mapping and printing tool for ArcIMS. In effect, I extended ArcIMS functionality using ArcObjects on the server-side, prior to the existence of ArcGIS Server software.
- Lead developer for an ArcIMS / ASP.Net development project called QuikFind. Customized the ArcIMS DHTML Viewer with ASP.Net to build a sophisticated search tool for querying large datasets.
Infrastructure and Best Practices
- Evaluated numerous source code control and defect tracking systems for in-house development use.
- Implemented automated builds for various development projects.
- Participated on a team to establish coding standards and code review practices.
- Performed duties as company beta tester for ESRI ArcGIS 9 suite including ArcMap, ArcGIS Server, and ArcIMS.
GIS Technology, Inc
GIS Software Developer – (Aug. 2000 – Sept. 2002)
Details on Request.
City of Austin
GIS Analyst / Developer – (1998 – Aug. 2000)
Details on Request.
Operating System Experience
- Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, Svr 2003, Srv 2008, Srv 2012, Srv 2016, etc.
- Linux – Ubuntu Desktop / Headless Server, Debian, Mint
- ArcGIS Pro
- ArcGIS Enterprise / Portal
- ArcGIS Desktop & Server
- ArcIMS (ActiveX Connector, ArcXML, 3 – 9)
- ArcView 3.x, ArcInfo 7.x and 8.x, Map Objects, MOIMS
- Open Layers
- C# (primary language) .Net
- .Net Core (Platform Independent on Linux)
- WPF, MVVM
- Mono Frameworks
- Visual Basic 6, VBScript, DOS, BASH
- Avenue / AML (yeah that is old stuff)
Database / ORM Experience
- MS SQL Server
- NHibernate / Fluent NHibernate
- Amazon Web Services
- Team Foundation
- Cruise Control
Masters of Applied Geography (GIS and Cartography) – Summer 2000
- Southwest Texas University
- Specialization in Geographic Information Systems
- Cumulative Grade-Point Average: 4.0 (of 4.0)
Bachelor of Science in Biology – Fall 1997
- University of Texas at Austin
- Cumulative Grade-Point Average: 3.5 (of 4.0)
- SharpMap Open Source Developer – Perform feature enhancements on WMS and WFS area of code base. Use this component in other personal projects.
- Appalachian Trail Thru-hike , March 1 – August 19, 2004 – Completed a 2,174 mile backpacking trip from Georgia to Maine in six months time. Required extensive research, project planning, discipline, and determination.
Conferences & Training
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) from Scrum Alliance in 2012
- Amazon Web Services Reinvnet Conference 2014, 2015, 2017
- Constructs Training – Software Estimation, Project Management
- New Horizons Training – C#, VB.Net, and Visual Studio
- FOSS4G Denver 2011
- ESRI Developer’s Summit, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017
- ESRI User’s Conference, 2002
- Petroleum User Group Conferences, 2000 – 2006